13 July 2010

Updates and Self Immunizing with Snake Venom

Well folks,

Its been a while. I've been busy moving and being broke with no job. HOWEVER, as the Hapless Muggle, I feel that it is important to keep updated on what has been going on in the house of Witchy-Poo.

Weirdness #1: Was hired to go and perform the Sideshow (www.myspace.com/bonesandrosessideshow) at a pagan-ish gathering and attended an interesting workshop. The workshop was titled "Everyday Sacred" and was led by a fantastic woman who reminded my very much like a disney character. My lady was off doing something else, so I decided to attend. The class discussed what ritual they performed during the day (mine was "I make coffee every morning") and what they felt was sacred ("three cups, at least"). She led us in a guided visualization after. Now, I have tried this sort of thing with stress and anger management, and I always end up more stressed or pissed off that initially started. I cant concentrate and I just give up. I was determined to let this feeling go and give it a try. The vision guided us through different hallways attributed to the 4 directions (ESWN) and what they signified. I'm a guy who usually knows what to expect. I don't get surprised very often and usually what is around the corner is there because I had it coming (for good or for bad). Here, I was able to relax enough and the images in my head were profoundly different from what I was expecting. I wont go into details, but why was this far more profound? Was the week off of work enough relaxation to get my brain to slow down? Cuz it sure didn't cure anything else that gets brought on by the angst of life.

Goodness #1
The Darrin Stephens Society for Hapless Muggles will be meeting on Monday nights at a pub to be determined. Minutes will not be posted due to the fact that we may get more than a few pints in us and share some things that may not be content appropriate (aka bad jokes) or slanders, insults and how we might have gotten kicked out of the bar.

Weirdness #2
In 1947, Bill Haast opened the Miami Serpentarium for educational purposes and to supply the world with snake venom for research and antivenin. Shortly after opening the Serpentarium, he began injecting diluted amounts of venom in order to immunize himself against the bite of snakes. This is actually a remnant of a much older practice called mithridatism. To date he has survived 172 bites and he will be turning 100 years old in December. There are others who engage in this practice publicly (www.venominme.com) and I propose this question: Thanks t the work of Haast and many other researchers and experimenters, we can show that immunizing against a venomous snake bite is entirely possible. What other health benefits could be reaped by such activities? Are there any? Bee stings have been used to combat rheumatoid arthritis for thousands of years. Immunostimulation? Anticoagulation factors?

Just getting the conversation going.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment